Peaceful sleep is every person’s right. A person’s weight should not be the reason for getting little sleep or a complete lack of it. Unfortunately, a majority of the beds you will find in the market will have a weight capacity of nearly 500 pounds.
[amazon box=”B07FKJQ143,B07H2ZX75M,B01M0HEA0R” grid=”3″ link_id=”44155″]
This figure is for a bed that can accommodate two people. So, what to do if you or your partner do not fall under this normative bracket? Well, you have reached the right article!
Read on as we bring you reviews of the top six platform beds meant for heavy persons, along with some valuable advice on how to choose the perfect bed for yourself.
It can take up to 3,500 pounds of weight without so much as a squeak. How? Its reinforced weight-enduring structure is made entirely of steel. This allows it to not only hold the weight of overweight sleepers but also a sturdy, heavy mattress. Its slat structure also prevents the slipping of mattresses and ensures safe sleep for every person regardless of their weight.
- 77.4 × 56.4 × 14 inches
- Can accommodate mattresses sized up to 75 ×54 inches
- 14-inch height for under-bed storage
- Can take up to 3,500 lbs of weight
- 2.4-inch thick steel frame
- Reinforced leg structure for a noise-free, stable sleep
- Slat structure to provide good mattress support
- All the tools necessary for assembly included in the package
- Ultimate strength and durability
- Can accommodate more than one overweight person easily
- Provides good support to heavy mattresses
- Easy to assemble
- No extra tools are required for assembly
- Prevents the mattress from slipping off the frame
- 5-year manufacturer’s warranty
- Needs at least two people for the assembly
- Very heavy to assemble
- Liable to stub toes on outward-set legs of the bed
Best Modern Design
Usually, you will find that platform beds for heavy people have zero styles. Not this one! Greatly designed for strength, support, and stability, this bed will also add panache to your bedroom’s design and decor.
- Queen Variant: 82 x 14 x 8 inches
- 70 pounds
- Fit2Lock feature
- Made of durable steel
- Ready-to-assemble packaging
- Durable and noise-free
- High weight-holding capacity
- Fit2Lock feature makes it incredibly easy to assemble
- Rounded edges prevent stubbing accidents
- Insufficient measures for preventing mattress slipping
- Color may differ slightly
Best Non-Slip Mattress Foundation
Trust us when we say that you can sleep in peace; the bed is going nowhere! It has an intelligent mattress placement design that prevents the mattress from slipping off the bed, no matter how heavy and restless the sleeper may be.
- 82 × 62 × 14 inches
- For Queen-size Mattress: 80 × 60 inches
- Can bear up to 3,000 pounds
- Made of durable steel, with nine legs for extra support
- Comes with holes for attaching the headboard and footboard
- Heavy-duty and durable
- Legs covered with a gasket to prevent scratches on the floor
- Ample space for under-bed storage
- Delivered in a safe, smart packaging
- Comes with a 5-year warranty
- The tools included in the packaging aren’t that great
- Needs more cushioning if using a thinner mattress on this bed
- Not easy to assemble by oneself
Best Under-Bed Storage
It gives complete freedom from the entire sagging storage box scenario. You can store a lot of stuff under this bed. Other than this special feature, it ticks all the other basic criteria for beds for heavy persons.
- 61.5 x 81.5 x 18 inches
- 49.3 pounds
- For mattress and box spring of 79. 5 x 59. 5 inches
- Holds up to 2,000 pounds
- Sturdy and high weight-holding capacity
- 18-inch height gives immense under-bed storage space
- Anti-slip design for mattresses
- All tools included for assembling
- 5-year warranty
- Fast delivery
- Complaints of quiet squeaking after some use
- Poor-quality plastic ends on the slats
Best Slat Structure
- 80 x 60 x 14 inches
- 35.9 pounds
- 4,400-pound weight-holding capacity
- No-tool assembly
- Folding design
- Value for money
- The foldable design makes it a great option for small spaces
- Great mattress support with woven slat structure
- Non-slip design
- Easy assembly without any tools
- Super-strong support
- Not very durable
- Poor customer care service
Related article – Top 10 Metal Bed Frames
Why Would You Need a Heavy-Duty Platform Bed?
Are you or your partner or both of you on the heavier side of the weighing scale? Yes? Then you might have faced instances when the bed came crashing down in the middle of a sound sleep. If not that drastic, then you might be familiar with squeaking beds that swing up and down even if you move a single limb. The backaches that come from the sunk-in mattresses are the worst. All of this is so annoying! Of course, then, let us not get started on how harmful bad sleeping patterns are for our health.
When you set out to buy a bed, be it in a store or online, you will easily find innumerable designs, sizes, shapes, colors, and even price ranges. You are easily smitten by this one design that you think will look terrific in your current bedroom set-up. But your heart breaks when you realize that the weight-holding capacity of this bed is nothing more than 500 pounds. That is just not enough to hold the weight of your heavy mattress, your partner, and you!
Here is where platform beds for heavy people come in. These beds do not need the regular box spring. These have either a solid surface or a slat system made of metal to place the mattress. These beds support heavyweights, usually up to nearly 3000 pounds. Thanks to their large weight capacity, heavy persons do not even need to stay limited to certain mattress choices.
You can choose whichever mattress suits you the best, and add it to the platform bed frame of your choice after calculating the total weight the bed will have to bear. The open space under these platform beds also prevents the sorry state of plunging storage boxes. Although we can still do with more style variants of these sturdy beds, the online stores at present have a good stock of designs, colors, and styles. You can even customize them by adding headboards and footboards in some variants that allow these additions.
You may find interesting: Favorite Bed Risers in 2023
What Are the Different Kinds of Platform Beds?
There are two kinds of platform beds in terms of structure. One is wherein the platform that holds the mattress is a flat, solid structure. The other is wherein the platform is made of multiple slats that hold up the mattress.
Solid Platform Bed
A solid platform bed has a flat surface on which the mattress is placed. Pull-out storage can easily be added under these kinds of platform beds. It gives a more firm feel as compared to slat structures. That may be good for some people, and some others might not prefer that. The only definitive drawback of this kind of platform bed is that it does not allow much airflow and can lead to the accumulation of allergens in the bed.
Platform Bed with Slat Structure
The disadvantage of the solid platform bed is the advantage of the slat structure. It provides good airflow, which is especially great for a memory foam mattress. However, be wary of beds whose slats are too far apart. Such structures can cause the mattress to sink in. The slatted structure in some beds can also be customized for the degree of support required.
What to Consider While Choosing a Platform Bed for Heavy Person?
You might know from experience exactly how important it is to get the right bed for your weight. We shared the reviews for some of the top-ranking platform beds for heavy persons. However, if you are still confused about which one to choose, keep the following factors in mind while making your choice.
- Weight Capacity: Think thoroughly. Factor in all possible weights that the platform bed frame will need to endure. It will definitely include you and your mattress. Also factor in if you have a partner, kids, or pets sharing the bed.
- Material: Look for beds entirely made of durable steel. Make sure you steer clear of the kind in which the slats are not broad enough. The ones with narrow slats are prone to early damage or squeaking.
- Slat Structure: The chances of the mattress sinking in are higher when you have unidirectional slats. Try and choose a bed that has a net-like structure of horizontal and vertical slats. This will provide reinforced support to not only the mattress but you as well.
- Extra Support: Most platform beds for heavy persons come with up to seven or nine legs. Make sure the one you choose has these extra legs for maximum support. Additionally, make sure that these legs have some sort of cushioning at the bottom to prevent stubbing your toes daily.
- Warranty: Most such beds come with a warranty for as long as five years. A bed is after all an investment. It should last you a long time. Warranty on these beds saves you a lot of maintenance hassles.
- Other factors: Some additional factors that you might look out for are the under-bed storage facility, ease of assembly, value for money, and even customizability for adding headboards and footboards.
We completely understand the need for these specialized platform beds for heavy persons. We hope that through this article, you too have understood how necessary these kinds of beds are for heavy persons and their overall health.
Our sleep is connected to our mental as well as physical well-being. These beds bring a lot more stability and calm by allowing a noise-free, comfortable good night’s sleep.
Everyone has different requirements so they may choose accordingly. Our reviews of the top five platform beds for heavy persons take into account various needs and have been listed accordingly.
Go through them carefully to understand your weight capacity requirements, durability requirements, storage needs, and your budget. Once you have these figured out, you will easily be able to choose the ideal one among the top five platform beds for heavy persons.